Pages

Wednesday 23 November 2016

The "alternative" Christmas top - because not everyone loves sequins!

I know, it's hard to believe, but not everyone loves sequins. And there's a real trend this season of "un-seasonal Christmas dressing" which frankly I'm not buying into at all. If you like them, Christmas is for sequins, feathers, frills, froth and fancy stuff and no-one is going to convince me otherwise. However for those who genuinely are on the hunt for something pretty but less obviously "Christmassy" how about a kimono inspired top?

Firstly, apologies for the slightly small images. Really if I was any good at this game I would spend ages re-sizing the images but please forgive me - I want to go to bed!

Anyhow, let me introduce you to....



..the floral print kimono top from Zara £25.99. It's a fab price, lovely with a pleather pencil skirt, kick flared jeans and heels or some tapered leg trousers. What I really like about this top is that it's not a clingy number (see below), it has wide sleeves so there's no cutting into flesh and it's just a lovely top to have in your wardrobe for those last minute invitations out.


Quite a lot of the kimono pieces are made of silk, so they can be pricier but equally they can work really hard in your wardrobe and you know, if it's the perfect piece, then it's worth the price.


This cherry blossom silk kimono from Karen Millen (£250) is a fabulous piece. I love the nod to the tux from the collar - and the longer back offers some bottom coverage where it's needed most. Layer with a pretty cami for a wafty, exotic (non-sequined) look. There's currently 25% off with KM for Black Friday.



And I love this embroidered collared jacket from Ted Baker (£249). This would be perfect, and different, for a winter wedding, a work do or equally good dressed down with ripped jeans.


There will be others out there and it's only an idea - but it's one that I'm quite fancying if I'm honest. Are the days of the sequin numbered?

Oooh and as to other deals for Black Friday, there's 20% off at Hobbs, 25% off at Whistles and 20% off at Selfridges.