Pages

Monday 29 October 2012

Mum on the Run - Wearing a little bit of Mint Velvet (but really it's all about the brand). Do pop by, I think you might like it.

 
I seem to keep getting myself in hot water at the moment, with many of you emailing me to tell me that I keep putting temptation in your way - in which case you may want to look away now.
 
I am sure that many of you will be familiar with the brand Mint Velvet, which was set up three years ago now by three women who each had 15 years experience in the fashion industry. As busy working women, their aim was to create a womenswear brand that consisted of beautiful textures, which referenced the season's key looks and which translated into effortlessly wearable co-ordinated pieces.
 
For me the brand goes from strength to strength. I think that the price point is good as is the way that the trends are interpreted to make them accessible.  I have always looked to Mint Velvet for leather jackets and their strength lies in creating key pieces in a neutral colour palette which will integrate effortlessly into an existing wardrobe, updating it without screaming "hello, I am this seasons' newest trend." 
 
Their selection of squishy, slouchy bags together with their snake print clutches are perfect. Think Jennifer Aniston in her jeans/leather jacket/slouchy bag combo and you won't be far off the mark.
 
If Mint Velvet isn't somewhere that you have previously looked for boots then I urge you to do so. They have a fantastic selection which includes knee high biker boots (quite hard to find and for some ladies preferable, as they finish at a more flattering point on the leg), shoe boots, wedge ankle boots, tan heeled boots, riding boots, over the knee boots, the list goes on.
 
The Mint Velvet Magazine is also fantastic - full of useful styling advice, hints and tips - quick and consise, it demonstrates that the creators of Mint Velvet have a real understanding of what women want on a daily basis.
 
I could go on but I won't, instead leaving you to take a look at your leisure!
 
Earlier in the summer - in fact it was a very rare and hot day - I was approached by Mint Velvet to ask whether I might like to do something with them. Roll on a few months and I chose some pieces from the current collection to try.  
 
Here I am wearing their storm nubuck ankle boots. The heel height appealed to me, as did the colour. Being a dark grey, they have the tendency to take on whichever colour they are put with, whether it's navy, grey or black  - which makes them so versatile. The rubber sole also appealed to me for its non-slip quality!
  
 

In this outfit I styled them with skinny cords, a denim shirt with striped top underneath and a cream cape. If time had permitted (and if they were mine) I would also style them with a dress with a leather jacket over the top, or with wide legged trousers, printed blouse and a blazer for a smarter look. However, the boots were required back in London for a photo shoot and I was required to get packing for our trip away.
 
 
 
 

Please forgive the beer bottle by my feet! Without me realising it, the nice man from Amazon had emptied our recyling bin and turned it upside down so as to hide a package for our son's birthday. Fortunately he chose the right day to come - on another day there could have been far more beer bottles in it.
 
I also asked Mint Velvet if I could take a closer look at this wine saddle bag (£119)..... 
 
 
                                   Wine Saddle Bag
 
...which reminded me very much of a bag by Tom Ford (see below) which has found favour with the A-listers.
                                       
                                    

Despite my failure to style it particularly well (the colours weren't quite right), I am showing you a picture of it in any event. Alas the bag went back with the boots, so I couldn't re-do the shots - but I think you can get the gist of how it looks.
 

I hope that you enjoyed the read and that you find Mint Velvet to be a brand which works well for you. There are some stand alone stores and there is also a concession in House of Fraser.